Saturday, August 8, 2015

Be More Bookish - Week 5, Assignment 3

The cover design for Infinite Home, the new novel by Kathleen Alcott that came out in hardback on August 4, was the first thing that drew my attention. I actually pick a lot of my reads based off of cover art alone and the mix of color and patterns was what got me to click on this bad boy. In spirit it reminds me of A Long Way Down by Nick Hornby. Infinite Home follows a cast of misfits and outcasts who share an apartment building and find themselves facing eviction by their deceased landlady's estranged son after he inherits the building. Not only are these characters underdogs, I think a lot of the appeal comes from following a colorful cast of characters with a very relatable goal. The fact that it takes place in Brooklyn, NYC is a quick draw for a lot of readers, as the hip, artsy nature of Brooklyn has become almost legendary in our current culture. As the Amazon blurb says: the characters go on a journey together trying to find their new home and senses of purpose, and that hopefully promises a pace that won't stagnate. Overall, I think the appeal of this title stems largely from the implied (possibly dark) humor, the varied and interesting characters, the almost universal struggle of being unable to afford to live where you live, and how dynamic the plot seems.

No comments:

Post a Comment