Wednesday, September 16, 2015

Be More Bookish - Week 6, Assignment 1

I think Romance is probably the only section in our library that I've never taken a book off of. I try not to be prejudiced, but I think it's pretty clear that I do suffer from some preconceptions and bias in the romance department. I will say, though, that even with my preconceptions and bias and limited knowledge I still managed to be surprised by the sheer amount of



























that they talk about on Heroes and Heartbreakers. That's not to say that that's all that's offered on the website; I was also pleasantly surprised to read a lot of articles and interviews dealing with some very poignant current events and addressing sex positivity and body shaming. The sex positivity articles were both the least and most surprising things I noticed while following the blog: least because, well, everything I read was about sex, but also most because I wasn't expecting the tone of acceptance. For a genre that seems to feature mostly straight heterosexual coupling between strong (time-tossed) men and frazzled (yet sensual) women, the community is surprisingly open minded.  It was nice to see, and I will freely admit that I was also surprised and impressed with the level of discourse I saw in the articles. I definitely fell victim to my prejudices going into this assignment back in week 1, but I'm happy to report that I often found myself genuinely absorbed in the articles and summaries I was reading on Heroes and Heartbreakers. I'm looking forward to giving some of these books a chance.

No comments:

Post a Comment