Saturday, October 17, 2015

Be More Bookish - Week 8, Assignment 1 & 2

I personally had never really read nonfiction outside of textbooks before I started working at the library. I'd sort of always figured that it would be boring and dry and not at all the kind of thing I was into. I've been playing catch up ever since. While fiction will always be my first love, I find myself drawn to nonfiction for completely different reasons, many of which were touched on in these two articles. Personally, my favorite type of narrative nonfiction is the memoir. I enjoy reading about a person's life from their reflective perspective, and I'm a sucker for self-deprecation.

In terms of these assignments, they struck me as a little dry. They made good points, but it was sort of like slogging through a nonfiction book that doesn't match your interests. Still, I appreciated the information, especially the advice on crossing over between fiction and nonfiction during reader's advisory. The video functions a lot like the Prezi map did for breaking down different subgenres for nonfiction, which is definitely an invaluable tool. There are even more type of nonfiction out there and as any librarian knows it can be a struggle keeping them all straight.

No comments:

Post a Comment