Wednesday, October 21, 2015

Be More Bookish - Week 9, Assignment 3

All in all, Be More Bookish has been a positive experience. Some assignments have been more valuable than others, but of course every training can't address every person's needs perfectly every time. The work we did with appeal factors and reader's advisory was awesome and super helpful, but once we started to get into the teen websites and book trailers I felt like I wasn't learning much that I could actually use when helping patrons. There are a few subjects that it might be helpful to add for the future also, like books that are only released digitally and the small press/self-publishing boom of the last few years. Also, the fact that the blog itself wasn't accessible outside of the library made it extremely difficult to stay on top of the assignments, especially when I was out of the country for two weeks.

That being said, I really appreciate that a resource like this exists. I enjoyed the collaborative nature of the blogging, and I really enjoyed the exchange of information that took place within the branch between all of the staff members working on this. I feel confident saying that I'm much more prepared than I was when we started this, and that I feel more like a part of a community. As the Bard wrote, when he completed his basic librarian training: "We few, we happy few, we band of brothers (and sisters); for he (or she) to-day that sheds his (or her) blood with me shall be my brother (or sister.)"


No comments:

Post a Comment